up2date inefficiency.

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Sep 10 14:37:07 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 10.09.2004 schrieb Sam Varshavchik um 3:22:

> The most recent kdelibs update highlights an annoying up2date wart.  I've
> seen this happen before.
>
> It looks like one of the updated packages has a new dependency on
> lm_sensors.  Because the new dependency is not satisfied by any of the
> pulled packages from the update directory, up2date then goes off and
> downloads the headers from every package in the base FC 2 channel.

I can not confess your experience in any way. I am running FC1 and FC2
with only up2date (no yum, no apt) and never saw such a behaviour.
Explicitly not with latest kdelibs updates.

I am only using the FC 1/2 base and updates respository from a German
mirror server and freshrpms.net. Even if you mixed a lot of repositories
there should not be a fresh fetch of all header files caused by an
update.

Btw. the upcoming new yum will not any longer need the header files. It
works different. Said that, it is in testing phase with rawhide
(incompatible with current yum repository style).

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 16:32:07 up 11 days, 13:48, load average: 0.02, 0.31, 0.62