FC1 to FC2 HowTo?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Sep 11 11:16:46 UTC 2004

Richard E Miles wrote:

> I would advise against an upgrade. The change from 2.4 kernels to 2.6
> kernels and the overall update process is an iffy proposition. I know from
> personal experiance I was unable to get sound card to work as a user after
> an update. I would back up your current data and do a clean install.

There is one very strong argument in favour of an upgrade,
as opposed to a new installation.
If you upgrade and the new kernel does not work -
and there have been many postings from people
who have found themselves in exactly this position -
then you can use the kernel from the previous system,
and perhaps compile a new kernel.

But if you make a new installation and the kernel that comes with it
does not work you are "up the creek".

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366