Possible bug in FC2?

randyv jvolters at sc.rr.com
Sat Sep 11 18:38:51 UTC 2004

Charles Swarts wrote:

>I'm not much help, but I have gotten around similar problems in the
>past by choosing the text install instead of the gui.  Another thing
>you might try is turning off any acpi settings in the BIOS of the
>laptop.
>

>On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 17:38:25 -0400, Randy Volters <jvolters at sc.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello all -
>>
>>I posted this to linuxiso.org / forums, but so far only have received
>>problem) for my system on FC2.
>>
>>Here is the body of my original post.  I'm hoping someone on the mailing
>>list might provide more conclusive feedback as to whether I can use FC2,
>>and if so, how.
>>(I can install FC1 on this system, so, to some extent I'm convinced this
>>is an FC2 issue.  I have, since posting this, redownloaded / rechecked
>>(md5sum) and re-bured the FC2 CDs
>>and still am getting the same error).
>>
>>=== ORIGINAL PROBLEM DESCRIPTION FOLLOWS ===
>>
>>I'm attempting to install FC2 onto a Gateway laptop. I've build dual
>>boot laptops using RH8 before, so I know what I'm doing, but I've never
>>encountered this problem before...
>>
>>First, a bit about the hardware -
>>Gateway Laptop (Model 450ROG)
>>Processor 1400 MHz Intel Pentium M (Centrino) / GenuineIntel Family 6
>>Model 9 1.4 GHz Stepping 5
>>512MB RAM
>>37.26 GB disk
>>Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial
>>Bus type: PCI, ISA, USB
>>BIOS: GATEWA - 20030403 Rev 1.0
>>1400 x 1050 in 32-Bit Color, MOBILITY RADEON 7500 Ver. 6.14
>>
>>Now about the CDs -
>>Downloaded from mirror
>>checksummed the ISOs after downloading
>>re-checksummed using KIIIb prior to burning the CDs
>>
>>Now the problem description -
>>When I boot from the first CD and select the GUI install,
>>during the initial decompress of linux, I get the following
>>error ...
>>
>>89 68 10 89 f8 e8 85 e1 00 00 b8 37 00 00 00 e8 96 e3 00 00
>><0> Kennel panic Attempted to kill init!
>>
>>I tried booting again and running linux mediacheck and got the
>>same error as described above.
>>
>>Can someone tell me what I do now?
>>
>>Really kind of bummed. Hope this isn't a hardware support problem. I'd
>>really like to try Fedora, SuSE is ok, but I'd like to see how Fedora is
>>coming along.
>>
>>TiA for any feedback.
>>
>>--

Thanks for the suggestion.  I installed FC1 onto my laptop.  It seems to
be working fine.
Given the numerous complaints about FC2, I amy wait a while, but then
again, I amy just
go ahead and give your suggesitons a try to see if they work.  Might as
well before I spend
too much time tweaking my FC1 install right:?  ;-)  After all, I can
easily re-install FC1 later.