to newcomers: please try to solve the problem yourself before asking

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Sun Sep 12 00:02:15 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 19:27, Richard Whitney wrote:
<snip>
> So welcome the newbs, understand their ignorance, teach them and
> appreciate the fact that YOU were once one of THEM!

<snip>

There is an easy solution....

1) Experts with little tolerance for ignorant newbs should now simply
ignore their posts rather than belittling their ignorance by telling
them to google or search the archives.

2) Experts with much tolerance for ignorant newbs feel free to work on
helping them.

3) Ignorant newbs: when no-one seems to want to help you?  It could be
that you failed to supply sufficient information so learn how to ask
better questions and play by the accepted practices of most lists (i.e.
don't hijack a thread or many may not see the question)....

Remember that we have each made the choice to work with this form of
Linux called Fedora.  This list is volunteer supported and when one
approaches a master, one should do so with respect AND "make the effort
to learn the master's ways"....  I don't think any of us can thank
people like Alexander, Tom and the myriad of others who seem to
tirelessly supply very quick answers and, when time allows, go above and
beyond to "explain" their answers....

--Rob