email server question

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Sep 12 03:36:03 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 23:23, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> I have a dynamic IP on my cable modem being serviced by DNSpark which
> allow me to keep my domain name in sync with my current IP.
>
> The problem is now that I can send email from my host at home to a web
> email account that I have on a hosting service but cannot seem to
> receive an emails onto my local host.
>
> MailEnable: Message Delivery Failure.

> 	[SMTP:lonnie at outstep.com]: General Failure
>
> Any ideas on a possible fix would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming you have MX records configured correctly in DNS for the moment
the following items might cause such a problem:

1. ISP may be blocking inbound port 25.  Try using telnet outstep.com
25.  If you get a connection you should be able to type HELO domain.name
and get a response.  If you can not get a connection port 25 may be
blocked.

2. You have a firewall on your machine blocking port 25.  Same test as
in 1.  But this one you can fix by opening port 25.  Quick test would be
to issue the command:  service iptables stop.  Then run a test email to
the system or the telnet test in 1.

3. You don't have your MTA enabled on the server.  You need to have a
process listening on port 25 to receive the message.  Try the command:
netstat -an | grep :25

This should list a process listening on port 25.  If you don't have one
then you need to enable your MTA.

You can also use dig or nslookup to check your mx records.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

transfer, n.:
	A promotion you receive on the condition that you leave town.