Disabling IRQ #11

Bill Shannon bill.shannon at sun.com
Sun Sep 12 04:25:22 UTC 2004

I upgraded my Fedora Core 1 system (Dell 4550) to Fedora Core 2.
What a disaster!  Lots of stuff no longer works!

The biggest problem is that I get a message that says
"Disabling IRQ #11" and then the system hangs.

I can boot the system and login to the console as root and it pretty
much works.  But if I login as myself (non-root) the system hangs
before my login completes.

I only see this message if I also login to the system as myself using
ssh from another system.  The ssh window sees the message just before
the system hangs.

Under Fedora Core 1, /proc/interrupts looks like this:

             CPU0
    0:     901936          XT-PIC  timer
    1:       9611          XT-PIC  keyboard
    2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
    3:          0          XT-PIC  ehci_hcd
    8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
    9:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci
   10:          0          XT-PIC  usb-uhci
   11:    3272022          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, eth0, Intel ICH4
   12:     155723          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
   14:     133430          XT-PIC  ide0
   15:     355117          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

(I had to fall back to FC1 to make the system useful, but I can boot FC2
and collect data as needed to debug this problem.)

Oh yes, I ran "yum update" and updated all the packages to the latest
versions.  Made no difference.

Another piece of data...  when I first booted Fedora Core 2 it ran
the hardware configuration wizard and claimed that my USB hub (or something
like that) had been removed.  At first I told it to ignore this, but
after several reboots I told it to accept this change and remove it.

So, I suspect that this problem has something to do with the USB support,
but I don't know for sure.

Oh, I have *no* USB devices plugged into this system.

Any ideas what could be wrong, or what to do to track down the problem?
Why does this message only occur (and the system hang) when I login as
myself?

Thanks!