OT - CAD question

antonio montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Sun Sep 12 05:14:30 UTC 2004

Carroll Grigsby wrote/ha scritto, On/il 12/09/2004 03:07:

>On Saturday 11 September 2004 07:45 pm, James Pifer wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 18:42, James Pifer wrote:
>>

>>>I have some drawings an architect did for me that I would like to open
>>>in some CAD program and hopefully make some modifications. The catch is
>>>the architect did the drawings in Softcad (I believe version 11). My
>>>understanding in that this version could not export to dwg.
>>>
>>>The files he sent me have an spd extension. Anyone know of any way of
>>>getting these opened or converted to another format? Any CAD program on
>>>Linux be able to open them? Right now I have no specific CAD program
>>>running on my Redhat or Fedora machines. A "free" one would be
>>>preferable.
>>>
>>>Being an off topic question replies can be sent to me directly if anyone
>>>has any ideas.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>James
>>>

>>Sorry, that was Softplan, not SoftCAD....
>>
>>James
>>

>James:
>I'm not familiar with either Softplan or .spd files, but I have had a lot of
>experience with the problem of incompatible CAD file formats. Most CAD
>programs offer the option of exporting to something other than their native
>format; the most popular seems to be .dxf. If Softplan has that capability,
>then you should be able to view and modify them in QCad (although bear in
>mind that these conversions almost always involve some compromises). QCad is
>a free Linux application. It is somewhat limited in that it only does 2D,
>many people have found it useful and not unnecessarily complex to use. It can
>be found here:
>http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html
>
>If .dxf doesn't fly, there may be other workarounds such as .pdf, HPGL, etc.
>
>Ah, the joy of incompatible propietary file formats...
>
>-- cmg

and even if you export to dxf files and re-import them in another
application (what  /I did /between Autocad and Qcad) , maybe that you
get a messed job (maybe due to standard settings of different application??

--

 Antonio M.

 Working with  Mozilla 1.7.2 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 2
     Uso Mozilla 1.7.2 su Redhat Linux Fedora Core 2
		www.montagnani.org