yum-applet-gui non-functional

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Sep 12 05:15:00 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Being a long-time user of autorpm (http://www.autorpm.org/), I thought
> I'd give the "official" update methods a try. So I installed yum, which
> seems to work OK, and also yum-applet, which is based on rhn-applet.
> However, the applet always shows the "checking for updates" icon and if
> I left-click on the applet, no window appears but a process
> "/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/yum-applet-gui" is started, and never exits. I
> see the same thing on two different machines, and the same thing with
> the original rhn-applet. Any thoughts on why this might be happening?
>
> Paul.

Paul,
	I had the same problem with the rhn-applet after my "by hand" upgrade
of RedHat 7.3 to 9.0.  And it remained that way for me when I then
upgraded to FC2.
	What turned out to be my problem was that somewhere along the line
(since rhn-applet was working correctly for me under RH7.3) I lost my
"notification area" in my gnome panel.  (Or maybe it became necessary to
have one sometime after RH7.3.)  After I put a "notification area" in my
gnome panel, and then re-installed the rhn-applet into it, it works fine
again.  The one major difference I notice is the size of the icon used
in the notification area is much smaller than the one that was in the
gnome panel for RH7.3.  This is probably the dead give away that
something changed (but, if you don't know that, its not very intuitive
to figure it out!).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com