Allowing telnet connection

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Sun Sep 12 05:59:30 UTC 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am So, den 12.09.2004 schrieb Mike Burger um 1:13:
>
> > /sbin/chkconfig telnet on
> >
> > to turn the service on.
>
> That command does not turn the service on. It just creates the runlevel
> links from default init script settings.

Unless, of course, the service is controlled by xinetd, in which case:

A) It doesn't matter, one bit, what runlevel it is, as long as xinetd.d is
active in that runlevel, and

B) using the above command does, indeed, cause xinetd to restart or reload
its configurations...whichever it may be.

> > As a precaution, once you've used the chkconfig line, above, you can:
> >
> > /sbin/service xinetd restart
> >
> > to make sure that xinetd reloads with the telnet server available.
>
> No, it does not reload but restart, means stop and start. To enable the
> telnet server through xinetd the proper command is
>
> service xinetd reload
>
> which reloads by sending a kill -HUP to the process.

I beg your pardon?  Doesn't either method cause xinetd to reload its
configuration?

Answer...yes, because if you restart the daemon, it *IS* going to reload
its configuration.

Next time, you might actually take the time to try out the suggestion
you're trying to trash, before you go telling someone that they're wrong.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit