Mail Setup

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sun Sep 12 09:40:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 09:44, Robert Slade wrote:
> What I am trying to do is setup a mail server that can handle up to
> about 20/25 users, some on my network and some external. Currently most
> are managed using mercury under W2k, but I would like to setup a
> dedicated mail server to do the job. The other factors are multiple
> domains and the need to support Webmail and as the users will be using
> Windows, a virus checker, spam suppression and I that am new to Fedora/
> Linux.
>
> I have had a 'play' with postfix and that looks OK as a MTA, my real
> problem is what next? There are a number of howtos (and books) covering
> mail setups but I have not been able to find anything that discusses the
> relative merits of the different MTUs etc.
>
> For fear of starting a my MTU is better than yours argument, what is the
> best setup to support the above and where can I find documentation on
> how to set it up?

Take the steps one by one. Postfix is a good MTA and I'm sure it can
handle everything you need. I'm a sendmail user myself but I believe
postfix is easier to set up. For webmail, try installing squirrelmail.

You'll find quite a lot of documentation for many of the packages you've
installed in the /usr/share/doc directory; it's always worth a try
looking there.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>