floppy install

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 12 11:15:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 05:06:43PM -0400, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:

> I am starting to get a small feel for the FC2 Linux os with many
> differences from my old Mandrake 10.0 distro and I must say that I like
> what I have seen so far. In as much, I will be re-formatting my machine
> to remove the MDK and put in the FC2 code.
>
> I have seen that I can use a boot.iso burned onto a cdrom to install
> Fedora, but I was wondering what provisions were there for booting from
> a floppy and then installing over the net, NFS, hard drive, http, etc... ?
>
> Seems that if FC2 only supports bootable CDROM systems then it would be
> hard to place on some older machines or did I miss something?

The only thing that you missed is that the kernel no longer fits on a
floppy.  Systems that cannot boot from a CDROM are getting a bit long
in the tooth and commonly also have limited DRAM and disk issues.

Still this is a common topic and the archives of this
list contain a number of discussions.
Use a good search engine....

One solution was to use an older version of RH that does load from
floppy and use it to do a minimum load then hack the bootstrap
process.  RH9 and FC1 are still out there, download them burn a set of
CDROMS and floppies for these older versions.  With care, it is
possible to live update these older versions with yum or from CDROMS.

You might also preload your disk on a machine that can boot from CDROM
then move that disk back to your 'lesser' machine.  Check out the used
hardware shops in the San Antonio area.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	In the USA, be informed, Vote Nov 2004.