How can I reject ICMP from my FC1?

usmany at excite.com usmany at excite.com
Sun Sep 12 12:39:57 UTC 2004

Sorry guy, but I am curious and really want to know more on this os (fedora core 1).
I experienced unsual activity since i set up this os (fedora core 1) as server on my network.
The unusual things is, my nework is becoming slow... I discover that my uplink is becoming high making the whole netowork move like snail, I can't even get a respond from my pinging i.e. getting to my service provider's gateway ip nor its source....I always get high response from both my serial interface 0/0 that connected me to my provider talk of ip to their gateway too.
I set up fedora core to save us as a secondary server while my window system to serve as primary and mail server (DNS).
When I set up the fedora as secondary server (DNS)... I did installed and configure MTA i.e. sendmail for it to be sending activity report but not for external mails retrieval or posting (SMPT/POP3).
When i saw things are getting worse and bad, thats why I requested for hand/help from you guys days back on how to filter protocols on the system (FC1) through firewall settings, etc. Then I also requested help on how to troubleshoot loose of bandwidth, etc which many of you guys assisted with tips (I appreciated all that). I also asked on how to go about setting up or knowing the version of BIND on the system.
Now, I realise that all the systems i setup (fedora core1) that I wanted using as option to all troubles of port scanning, virus, ICMP, etc seem to develop more problem to the network than before.... I am now force by all this to revert back to my old way i.e. window os and seem things are back to normal as i was before this situation i am in using FC1 as my DNS servers. But, I still want to try it again with you helps and tips on how to make a good, clean and free of trouble network with FC1.
So, please guys bear with me and assist me on how to make good use of this os (Fedora Core).
Thank you all
Usman Yahaya
NB.
1. If I can get good configuration setting on how to make DNS Server (secondary to window system which is the primary DNS).
2. Another configuration for cache and DHCP server to both os (window/fedora) server which will serve my internal network (LAN).
3. Last but not the list, a configuration for another fedora system that will be as a backup server for boths DNS if possible.