Trying to install nVidia card - Beginner

Bradley (FC2 List) FedoraList at Thingbuilder.com
Sun Sep 12 16:00:19 UTC 2004

> >>Try:
> >>
> >>yum install binutils
> >>
> >>Also spend some time reading up on yum, up2date, and the rpm commands.
> >>I think you will find they make installing packages much easier than
> >>trying to build them yourself from source.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Scot L. Harris
> >>

> >I used 'yum install binutils' and it seemed to install but if I run a
> >command suggested to me earlier 'rpm -q binutils' I am told that it is
not
> >installed and I still don't have objcopy which is what my nVidia
> >installation is looking for.

> Try to do it manually: find binutils rpm on fedora cdroms, then install
> it by typing (as root) 'rpm -Uvh /path/to/rpm'

I couldn't figure out the path on the CD so I copied the rpm to a folder in
/ named 'downloads' and used the 'rpm -Uvh' command. I get: preparing 100%,
1:binutils 100% -then error unpacking of archive failed on file
/usr/bin/gprof: cpio: rename failed -Is a directory.

when using  'rpm -qa | grep binutils' as suggested by Scott Harris, I get no
message.

I am logged in as root and su in terminal window.

Thanks for all the help.
Bradley