to newcomers: please try to solve the problem yourself before asking

Timothy Payne tim at tmpco.com
Sun Sep 12 11:17:03 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 21:44, Scott Talbot wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 09:09 +1000, CB wrote:
> > This topic has generated more heat than the initial post merited but I'd
> > like to mildly counter with the suggestion that many of you (Marius
> > included) are slightly out of touch with ordinary computer users.
<snip>

A couple of weeks ago someone asked for some answers to his homework,
that also generated allot of heat.  But the point was his 5 short
questions were on programing, I had no idea what he was asking.  But
many people were programmers and instantly knew what he was asking
about.  So the point should be, even if you get an answer it may be
meaningless if you don't understand what you are doing, yet.

So if you ask me about your watch and say I can't move the hands, and I
give you the reply "your clutch wheel is not engaging your winding
pinion"  Can you tell me how to solve the problem?  The answer is very
simple and a common problem.

Tim...