Disabling IRQ #11

Bill Shannon bill.shannon at sun.com
Sun Sep 12 23:53:09 UTC 2004

Brian Fahrlander wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 23:25, Bill Shannon wrote:
>
>>I upgraded my Fedora Core 1 system (Dell 4550) to Fedora Core 2.
>>What a disaster!  Lots of stuff no longer works!
>

>     Try a couple of kernel options:  "noacpi" and/or apic=no.
>
>     (Worked for me: it's the newer kernels.)

At first it seemed like that helped, but it only delayed the problem.

(First, let me make sure I'm doing this right.  In grub.conf I changed
"options ide-cd ignore=hdd" to "options ide-cd ignore=hdd noacpi" and
rebooted.  After booting the system, how can I tell that this had the
desired effect?)

I still can't login as myself.

I even set up a completely new account, no dot files, and can't login
to that account either.  At best, the login process is *very* slow.
It takes over 5 minutes to display all the icons on the login screen
as it starts things up.  But it never gets far enough to show me the
desktop.  I have to kill gnome-session to bring it back.

Usually somewhere in the process I'll get the "Disabling IRQ #11"
message and then the network connection dies.  (Of course, since
that's the IRQ the ethernet is using.)  But if I had just killed
gnome-session, and I'm back at the login screen when this happens,
I can use the menus on the login screen to shutdown the system.

BTW, here's what /proc/interrupts looks like on FC2:

            CPU0
   0:     399303          XT-PIC  timer
   1:         40          XT-PIC  i8042
   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
   3:          0          XT-PIC  ehci_hcd
   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
   9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi, uhci_hcd
  10:          0          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd
  11:      26207          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd, eth0, r128 at PCI:1:0:0, Intel 82801DB-ICH4
  12:         84          XT-PIC  i8042
  14:      12068          XT-PIC  ide0
  15:       1182          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

One noticeable difference between FC1 and FC2 here is that on FC2
IRQ #11 includes "r128 at PCI:1:0:0", which I assume is my ATI Rage 128
Pro Ultra video card.  Is it possible there's something wrong there?
It doesn't seem like it since everything works fine if I login as root.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Where else should I look for clues?