Mulitple VNC's Spawning

Micheal sundance at sundanceloki.com
Mon Sep 13 01:16:19 UTC 2004

Hi Guys,

Just had something strange happen. Out of curiosity I ran nmap on my
local IP and saw 3 vnc ports open. I also saw sshd and anasoda(?).
Within minutes, Xvnc's started opening on all displays :0 through :9.  I
did an init 1 and turned off vncserver and vncts from xinetd.

1. Could this mean I have been rooted? Spawning vnc servers over the
network seems like a dumb way of getting access. Chrootkit revealed
nothing out of the ordinary. However the anasoda service running on an
open port has me curious

2 Could this be a bug with vncserver and kernel 491?  I have updated to
checkin 521, but was in 491 when this occured to burn a CD.  When I was
running 491 on a regular basis, before 521 was released this never
happened.

Vncserver is not a critical service for me, so I'll leave it off.

Any ideas

Thanks a lot!

Micheal