Config changes needed for Gbit network?

Steve Snyder swsnyder at insightbb.com
Mon Sep 13 02:53:58 UTC 2004

Hello.

Our network, which until now has been all Fast Ethernet, is switching to
mostly Gigabit Ethernet.  Are these any changes I can or should make to
optimize networking in this environment?

Almost all the devices on the network will be Gbit, some using
64-bit/66MHz PCI and some using the sub-optimal 32-bit/33MHz PCI bus.
The remaining Fast Ethernet nodes will be slow devices like printers and
the occasional guest machine.  Most of the Gbit nodes will be using some
flavor of the Intel PRO/1000 NIC.

The server is running Linux, and the clients are Linux, Win2K and WinXP
boxes.  The Linux server is running Samba, providing network drives for
all the client machines.

I've read that Jumbo Frames are a bad idea unless *all* the nodes will
using them.  As there will be some nodes that do not support >1500-byte
frames, I plan on staying with the standard size frames.

What changes, if any, should I make to the standard RedHat/FC2
configuration to best support this new gigabit network traffic?

Thanks.