automounted filesystems don't work

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 13 04:10:10 UTC 2004

Bill Shannon wrote:

> I upgraded my Fedora Core 1 system (Dell 4550) to Fedora Core 2.
> What a disaster!  Lots of stuff no longer works!
>
> I had several automounted filesystems, local and remote, that worked
> fine under Fedora Core 1.  Now they don't work at all.  Here's my
> auto.master file:
>
> # $Id: auto.master,v 1.2 1997/10/06 21:52:03 hpa Exp $
> # Sample auto.master file
> # Format of this file:
> # mountpoint map options
> # For details of the format look at autofs(8).
> # /misc /etc/auto.misc  --timeout=60
> /home   /etc/auto.home  -nosuid
> /net    /etc/auto.net   -nosuid
> /smb    /etc/auto.smb   -nosuid
> #/net   -hosts          -nosuid
> #/-     /etc/auto.direct        -nosuid
>
> Here's /etc/auto.home (the machine is named "dell"):
>
> shannon -rw,intr        dell:/export/home/shannon
> nissan  -rw,intr,tcp    nissan:/export/home
> download        -rw,intr,tcp    nissan:/backup/download
> backup  -rw,intr,tcp    rosalind2:/backup
> # Would like to mount the My Pictures directory, but that doesn't work
> pictures        -fstype=smbfs,guest,rw  ://rosalind-pc/c
> datsun  -rw,intr,noquota,rsize=512,wsize=512,actimeo=600
> datsun:/home/datsun# following causes too many bogus mount attempts
> #*      -rw,intr        &:/export/home
>
> /home/shannon shows nothing.
>
> Any idea why the automounter isn't working, even for local filesystems?

When I run man 'auto.master', the format it gives me does not seem to
coincide with the above at all unless I'm missing something?

are dell, nissan, and rosalind2 NIS exported file systems?

Should you be checking NIS stuff maybe? I have a feeling the above is
not the problem, but whatever protocols/modules/services are needed to
get this auto-mounted isn't running.

Regards,
Ed.