/dev/dsp - I don't want to fight with it ... (permissions)

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Mon Sep 13 08:03:19 UTC 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:03:28 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> I have a shell script that records from line in.
> I call shell script from cron.
>
> When I am logged in at console - it works.
> PAM does its thing.
>
> When I am not logged in - permission denied.
>
> In other distributions, this is easily solved by putting the user into
> the audio group, and /dev/dsp has 660 permissions.

This is not good, since users in the audio group can steal access to
the devices. There should be only one user who owns the audio devices
at a time, and with precedence that is the one with physical access
to the computer.

> I tried doing a similar thing with fedora.
> Unfortunately Fedora thinks it is smarter than me, and resets the
> permissions when I reboot.

You can customize /etc/security/console.perms to change that
behaviour and assign a different chmod/chown/chgrp.

--
Fedora Core release 2 (Tettnang) - Linux 2.6.7-1.494.2.2
loadavg: 1.02 1.15 1.20