/ full - 5.6 gig partition

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Sep 13 08:37:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 02:31, Richard Whitney wrote:
> Hello!
>
> All of a sudden my root partition is full - I usually have about 1.5 gigs free
> I have it running like a server - sort of - it's open but no one knows about it
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Would you care to wager on that.
Any machine connected to the internet is seen and probed very soon after
connection. That is just a matter of time.

What has recently been added?
Are you using a firewall?
Have you been downloading anything?
Are you allowing anonymous ftp users to write?
How are the partitions?  Is /home a separate partition? or /var/log? or
/tmp?

If /var/log is not separate from / then large logs can quickly fill up
/. The same holds true with /home and /tmp, as well as /usr when
software gets installed.

Use " du -s /* " to see what portions of the filesystem have a size that
seems unusual, then inspect anything that seems out of line.