/dev/dsp - I don't want to fight with it ... (permissions)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Sep 13 11:36:56 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 01:03, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 16:03:28 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>
> > I have a shell script that records from line in.
> > I call shell script from cron.
> >
> > When I am logged in at console - it works.
> > PAM does its thing.
> >
> > When I am not logged in - permission denied.
> >
> > In other distributions, this is easily solved by putting the user into
> > the audio group, and /dev/dsp has 660 permissions.
>
> This is not good, since users in the audio group can steal access to
> the devices. There should be only one user who owns the audio devices
> at a time, and with precedence that is the one with physical access
> to the computer.

OK - maybe it is not good for a default, but should Fedora undo what the
root user has chosen to do? I'm not worried about other users "stealing
access" to the audio devices, I do however wish to record without having
to be logged in or run the script as root (which is probably worse than
a 660 /dev/dsp)

> > I tried doing a similar thing with fedora.
> > Unfortunately Fedora thinks it is smarter than me, and resets the
> > permissions when I reboot.
>
> You can customize /etc/security/console.perms to change that
> behaviour and assign a different chmod/chown/chgrp.

I'll try that and see if it works.