Sendmail+sasl2+smtpauth didn't work?

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Mon Sep 13 12:17:58 UTC 2004

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Hans Müller wrote:

> > And in '/var/log/messages/':
> >
> > Sep 12 17:39:25 dexter sendmail[6612]: no secret in database
> >
> > I've been working on it for a couple of days but  without a result...
> > I'm getting out of my head...:-/
> >
> > I've forgotten what?
> > Something wrong with my conf?
> >
> > Hope someone can give me suggestions...:)
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> try dovecot and not cyrus. Cyrus will not work at me, but dovecot will.

Dovecot is a POP3/IMAP server and won't help with this situation.

Michele, you said you used this command:

'saslpasswd2 -c -u dexter -a smtp neuromante'

You used too many options, actually the wrong options, and the user
'dexter' was never added to the sasldb2 database.

You really only need to use:

'saslpasswd2 -c dexter'

The saslpasswd2 procedure will then prompt you for a password for
"dexter", and Dexter should be on his way.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit