After upgrading to 2.6.8.1, k3b stopped working

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Mon Sep 13 17:47:29 UTC 2004

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> Since I upgraded to 2.6.8.1 from 2.6.7 my k3b stopped working.  It can't
> find the "Burning device".  Is anyone else having this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug P

Yes -- I've written a short workaround tutorial geared to new users at
this URL:

http://penguinsolutions.org/fedora/cdrw/

Here are some short answers that may (or may not, as was my own case)
work for you:

a) Open a terminal, su to root, give it your root password, and start
the CD burning application as a root user.
b) Reboot into a kernel version that is below 2.6.8.x.
c) Try xcdroast instead of k3b.

If you've deleted the 2.6.7.x kernel, then you'll want the instructions
I outline at this URL, in order to re-install the older kernel:

http://penguinsolutions.org/fedora/cdrw/node2.html

Hope this helps,
Clint