PXE-e53: No boot filename received - after reboot

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 19:44:05 UTC 2004

David Morris wrote:
> I have an older P3-500 Micron Client Pro system that I installed Fedora
> Core 2 on. Everything works fine except for when I reboot. I would like
> to control this system remotely so reboot may come in handy. The bios
> says to reboot from [Hard Drive], [ATAPI CD-ROM Driv], [Removable
> Devices], [Network Boot], [Intel UNDI, PXE-2]. For some reason it seems
> to skip the hard drive after reboot. Shutdown 0 press/power button seems
> to work fine. Can anyone help?

Are there any options for how long the computer will wait to detect a
hard drive? Fedora 2 is supposed to do a hard reset on the hard drive
(to make sure everything is written back) when it resets, and it's
possible the drive itself isn't ready to respond by the time the BIOS
looks for it.

Many BIOSes can be set to auto-detect hard drives once and store the
results (they're often marked "User" in the "Standard CMOS Features"
screen of the BIOS) or auto-detect at boot ("Auto" in the same screen).
Try toggling that setting.

Come to that, if you've only got one hard drive and one CD, you might
even experiment with putting the hard drive as secondary master and the
CD as primary master. If you allow the computer to auto-detect the CD
and look for a secondary slave, that will buy you several seconds for
the hard drive to become ready.

No, I don't know what's going on either. But you might gain some
insight from trying these recommendations. Or you might not.

Good luck!

James.
--
E-mail address: james | ...a probably apocryphal bilingual sign in darkest
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | North Wales. In English it says "70mph" and in Welsh