Red Hat nash problem

Jeremy Conlin jlconlin at umich.edu
Mon Sep 13 20:05:25 UTC 2004

> Tom asked:
>> Can you boot to any of these initstates?
>>
>>    #   1 - Single user mode
>>    #   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3,
>> if you do not have networking)
>>    #   3 - Full multiuser mode
>>    #   5 - X11

I tried #1, #3, #5 all with the same old error of hanging while loading
aic7xxx.  In #5, when I tried to ctrl-alt-del the machine did nothing.
When I pressed ctrl-alt-del with #'s 1 & 3, their was two lines
displaying something about stopping all devices and switching to
read-only mode (sorry, they were displayed too quickly).

> Jeremy got frightened ;-)
>> You are beginning to get way outside of my area of expertise.  I don't
>> even know what fstab is but I would love to know.  Keep in mind that I
>> cannot exclude the SCSI RAID device(s) because that is where my hard
>> drives are.
>
> The comment symbol for fstab is the hash (#). If you put that at the
> beginning of a line, Fedora will ignore it. This means that you can put
> messages like
> # Jeremy took this out to get the system to boot
> in there, or put a hash at the beginning of an otherwise valid line to
> disable it (yet make it easy to re-enable it).

I found the file and commented out the CD-ROM.  The other devices I
recognized were the hard drive with the OS on it.  I didn't think I
should comment out those lines so I didn't.  In any event eliminating
the CD-ROM didn't help as the machine still wouldn't boot (except in
rescue mode.)

BTW, I liked the commentary.
Jeremy