observations of a newbie...possible bugs in Core 2? or maybe bugs in me

Pasha e97665728 at 013.net
Mon Sep 13 20:20:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 23:03, J wrote:
> Hello.  I am brand new to Fedora and linux but was able to install
> core 2 just fine.  I do have two small problems, maybe everyone else
> is already familiar with.
>
> 1) After updating the kernel using yum I now have logon problems with
> the graphic logon.  If I use the (default) second entry in the "Choose
> a session" list ("default system session") I get the error "Your
> session has lasted less than 10 seconds..." when I log on as root.
> But I do not get this error if I choose the first entry in the list
> (gnome).  Can anyone tell me how I can make it choose gnome
> automatically?  I would rather not go through the extra step every
> time I log on.

Why do you choose the session. The system default session is Gnome, it
will be launched if you just log in without selecting anything. BTW, do
not log in as root - log in as a non-privileged user and use su command
if you need to run something as root.

> I tried installing switchdesk, but that did not work.  After making my
> choice and closing the popup box, I get the message "desktop config
> cannot be updated".  Moreover, at logon I get the message "you have
> chosen gnone...do you want to use it as your default?"  If I click
> yes, I still get the same message every time I log on.  It was better
> without switchdesk installed.  I do not have KDE installed, so I think
> it gets confused.
>
> 2)  After installation, if I use the add/remove software feature and
> the software is on disk 1, I get the error that disk 1 cannot be
> read.  But it can be, it works fine.  So add/remove software does not
> have much function.
>
> 3)   If I might add a third, the "windows network" part of Nautilus
> seems to have no function.  There is no way to add or alter the listed
> network.

You may try to enter smb://somename URL to access a specific machine.