observations of a newbie...possible bugs in Core 2? ormaybe bugs in me

Fedora fedora-list at anadromada.net
Mon Sep 13 21:03:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 23:03, J wrote:
> Hello.  I am brand new to Fedora and linux but was able to install
> core 2 just fine.  I do have two small problems, maybe everyone else
> is already familiar with.
>
> 1) After updating the kernel using yum I now have logon problems with
> the graphic logon.  If I use the (default) second entry in the "Choose
> a session" list ("default system session") I get the error "Your
> session has lasted less than 10 seconds..." when I log on as root. But
> I do not get this error if I choose the first entry in the list
> (gnome).  Can anyone tell me how I can make it choose gnome
> automatically?  I would rather not go through the extra step every
> time I log on.

Why do you choose the session. The system default session is Gnome, it will
be launched if you just log in without selecting anything.

Nice Touch and very true.

BTW, do not log in as root - log in as a non-privileged user and use su
command if you need to run something as root.

There are times that logging in as ROOT is applicable when doing some system
work.
Oldie's like me prefer to use root when doing a lot of system work but, I
also
take into consideration we have lots of experience and make less destructive
errors
that may kill the system.  Always remember if you are root anything goes
including complete
destruction of you system from one little command "rm -fr /*" very bad thing
to do.

Oh, I like Sudo as well as the I can masquerade as root.

Have Fun

Ho Ho