Mount fat32 partition

Aly Dharshi aly.dharshi at telus.net
Mon Sep 13 22:15:53 UTC 2004

Hi Folks,

	I tried to do this very thing over the weekend for a buddy, and I got the same
errors:

>>mount -t vfat /dev/hda8 /mnt/win
>>
>>Unfortunately, I got this message :
>>
>>mount : wrong fs type, bad option bad superblock on /dev/hda8, or too
>>may
>>mounted file systems.

	Haven't tried an fdisk -l but the hardware browser program (/usr/bin/hwbrowser)
reports that partition as an unknown filesystem. Has anybody been able to use
Windows XP SP2 to make a FAT/FAT32 partition and then get it mounted under
Fedora Core 2 ? Any pointers would be good. Thanks.

	PS: When my buddy booted back into Windows the FAT partition said do you want
to format and put an FS on it, basically he shit a brick, but used some recovery
tools to get to the files that he has on that partition (phew). So don't know
what is going on there unless XP SP2 is quite crap like the rest of the OS that
it doesn't know what is going on.

	Cheers,

	Aly.

--