which repos to use?

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Mon Sep 13 23:08:41 UTC 2004

Hello,
As of now, I use the yum.conf from fedorafaq.org.  I commented out the
following:
livna-testing
livna-unstable
fedora.us-testing
fedora.us-unstable
I'm tired of having mplayer crash on me.

That being said, I'm not getting enough packages.  So I scrolled down a bit
further in my yum.conf and i notice the following repos commented out:
freshrpms
dag
dries
newrpms
atrpms-stable/good/testing/bleeding
But there is a comment above these repos saying that they might conflict
with livna and fedora.us.

How do I know which repos conflict with other repos?  Which repos do people
generally use?  Why is this so complicated?

I did 'yum install mplayer-skins' and now i have the following installed:
mplayer-skins-1.3-0.lvn.2.2
mplayer-0.92.1-0.lvn.5.2
mplayer-gui-0.92.1-0.lvn.5.2
Well thats all fine and dandy, but no win32codecs are installed.  I can't
play QuickTime movies.

So what do I do?  Comment out the livna repos and add some others (which??).
Then when I'm done installing the codecs, recomment them out and re-add the
livna repos?  There has got to be a better way, I might as well compile
from source...its actually less of a hassle.

Thanks for the help.