epson stylus photo r200

Alexander Volovics awol at home.nl
Tue Sep 14 09:19:22 UTC 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 11:38:07AM -0500, Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:

> thanks for the reply.  i solved my problem after i posted though (isn't that
> always the case?).  i installed gimp-print-cups-4.2.7, restarted cups, then
> in KDE's printer control module, i added a printer just fine.  it worked
> great.

If you plan on using the gimp-print driver to print (color) photos
it might be advisable to have a windows pc with photoshop,
or any print software that comes with the camera, handy.

The gimp-print driver for the r200 has too many shortcomings,
for example:
- a 1 mm wide white stripe on the left (known bug)
- when printing a4 size it is very difficult to use the whole sheet,
  you get borders on top and bottom
- depending on the dominant colors you either get a red hue or a
  blue hue, difficult to adjust
- very dark green or blue spaces with shadows become black with a
  lot of ink used so that the sheet comes out wet and runs
- etc.

I just gave up on it and installed winME on an old laptop with the
software that came with the printer and now have no problems at all.

One of these days I shall send a detailed bug report tot the gimp-print
people but I doubt that this will get fixed any time soon given that
they are with too few.

Alexander