Fedora 2, Spam & Mail Transport

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Tue Sep 14 10:55:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 05:34, Tor Harald Thorland wrote:

> :-) Nothing is stopping me, only that i'm a newbie...
> www.mis.no is my own domain, I have a static IP adress from my ISP, the only
> things that I need to figure out / and get to work STABLE is:
> - Set up the web server with Mail (Imap)
> - Figure out how www.mis.no is connected to my computer (Do I need whats
> called forwarding from my ISP?)
> - Get my wifes Windows box to connect to the internet through my "Fedora
> Server" (I'm only using a notebook.)
> And thats lots of work for a newbie :-)
>
> And this needs to work perfectly, since I'm a seamen and is at work for 4
> weeks at a time and then 4 weeks on leave.

    Well, the first thing I'd do ('cause I'm anal-retentive) is to get a
close friend to maintain it while out to sea; ya just never know what
could happen.  Get with a local Linux group or "LUG" and don't make the
offer until you get comfortable with someone.  And don't accept an offer
from anyone soliciting it.

    The hardest part of sendmail (well, almost the only thing, when
installed from RPMs) is making sure DNS is set up right _and_ you
understand the routing.  Don't call an inside machine "mybox.mis.no" and
expect it to understand that.

    Then when you're happy with the machine's acceptance of mail (or, to
be more accurate, happy with your installation) switch the "MX" or Mail
Exchanger record to point to that machine with the static IP.

    Then one step at a time, start adding things.  Like spamassassin and
a webmail mechanism. I like SquirrelMail, but I've not tried a lot of
them.

    Don't start this when you have only a week before heading out to
sea, aye?  I can help you with this, but only if you're around to answer
questions, ya know?

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller