Black window after proper installation.

Andrea Giuliano a.giuliano at iccu.sbn.it
Tue Sep 14 12:05:25 UTC 2004

I strongly recommend you to boot in single user mode, or at least
runlevel 3 (no graphics). To do this, at grub prompt press "a" for
"append", and insert "linux 1" or "linux 3" at the beginning of the line
that will be shown to you. Then press ESC to go back to the usual grub
menu and press ENTER, or just wait for the countdown.

Then, as root or as a normal user if you running level 3, try "startx"
at a command line.

If you still get a black screen, try C-A-Backspace: this should kill the
X server. Then have a look at messages in the console: if you see some
row as "Fatal:...", you could at least figure out what's going wrong.

X logs also could be of help. Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log or such.

Also, explain what you mean with "and PC stops doing anything". Do the
keyboard led turn on and off when you press CAPS and such. If leds'
state cannot be changed, try searching in the mailing list archive for
"X freezes" or something like that: your X server has surely freezed!

That's all I can say at present.

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico