Help !

Julien Le Houérou julien.le-houerou at uhb.Fr
Tue Sep 14 15:26:18 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz a écrit :

>Am Di, den 14.09.2004 schrieb Julien Le Houérou um 15:25:
>

>>Hi, i juste upgraded to 2.6.8-1.521smp, with the brand new video drivers
>>from nvidia (6111), and it remains the hell :
>>
>>    - X tries to launch at least 10 times, on different displays, so
>>	that i never can see the login banner and have to run startx 			from a
>>command line to get an x-desktop working
>>
>>and as if it wouldn't be enough
>>
>>    - the gnome desktop background does not display, neither the desktop
>>itself (however i can correctly see the gnome panel).
>>

>Could you be more specific? Running X started not through the display
>manager but invoked by startx command, you then have no gnome running
>properly?
>
>I suspect that you run gdm, so have a look at the log file. That is
>always the starting point. To be found where all other logs are located
>too, under /var/log/ - here in an own directory: /var/log/gdm/.
>

>>PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me mad :'-(
>>

>Please don't behave like a little child, crying and whining. So do not
>repeat your mailings (your first mail with same content and different
>subject was from today 11:36). If nobody answers, nobody has time or is
>willing to answer or has an idea. Repeating, even with starting a new
>thread, is kind of unfriendly. This is no support group, just a helping
>community of volunteers.
>

>>Julien Le Houérou
>>

>Alexander

All apologies for repeating.

Indeed i use gdm, i will look at the logs you indicated.

Still i do not have gnome working properly, it appears for the second
time. After a first upgrade i had troubles with gnome-panel, this time
the desktop does not display...

--
Julien Le Houérou

Université de Haute Bretagne