where to start to set up wireless?

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Sep 14 15:26:38 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Trevor Smith wrote:

> On September 13, 2004 11:03 pm, Satish Balay wrote:
> > To make things easier with ndiswrapper - you might want to use the
> > linuxant version of kernel for FC2.
> >
> > http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/downloads-fc2-kernel-i686.php
>
> Thanks. I saw that bit about "4k stacks" when I first read the ndis stuff and
> it worried me greatly. I update my kernel with yum (or whatever). I NEVER
> compile a kernel and I wondered, if I go installing "patches" to the kernel,
> wouldn't that just get removed/broken the next time yum finds/installs a
> newer version?

Nope - when yum installs a new version - it doesn't 'touch/change' the
older/other versions of the kernel. (so they continue to work - if you
reboot to them)

However - once you start using non-FC custom kernels - you might want
to use 'exclude=kernel' in your yum.conf - and manage kernel updates
manually.

Satish