which repos to use?

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Sep 14 16:59:45 UTC 2004

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Hello,

> dries
> newrpms
> atrpms-stable/good/testing/bleeding
> But there is a comment above these repos saying that they might conflict
> with livna and fedora.us.
>
> How do I know which repos conflict with other repos?  Which repos do people
> generally use?  Why is this so complicated?
>
> I did 'yum install mplayer-skins' and now i have the following installed:
> mplayer-skins-1.3-0.lvn.2.2
> mplayer-0.92.1-0.lvn.5.2
> mplayer-gui-0.92.1-0.lvn.5.2
> Well thats all fine and dandy, but no win32codecs are installed.  I can't
> play QuickTime movies.
>
> So what do I do?  Comment out the livna repos and add some others (which??).
> Then when I'm done installing the codecs, recomment them out and re-add the
> livna repos?  There has got to be a better way, I might as well compile
> from source...its actually less of a hassle.
>
> Thanks for the help.

I have had problems with ATRPMS and other packages and I personally
don't use them anymore.

I find that mplayer works quite well if you follow the instructions
for installing the codecs.  I only have a problem playing some wmv
files which cause a seg fault.  I haven't looked further into this yet
due to time.

For managing my packages I have tried this package manager.  I find it
great.

Cobind Software Manager (YUMGUI)
http://www.cobind.com/yumgui.html

There are a few problems but it makes it quite easy to find out what
packages are on your machine and what packages are available.  It will
list updates, installed packages and available packages.  You can
check which to add, remove or update.

--
Robin Laing