where to start to set up wireless?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Sep 14 18:35:32 UTC 2004

On September 13, 2004 10:48 pm, ByteEnable wrote:

> If you need to setup the NDIS wrapper also check out
>
> http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/20040507104718960

Thanks for the pointer. I have (as expected) run into a problem that I barely
understand. Naturally I have no idea how to proceed.

The instruction:

    * verify the utils were installed:
          o whereis loadndisdriver ndiswrapper wlan_radio_averatec_5110hx

does not produce the expected output. In fact, I first tried 'make rpm' and it
complained "RPM build errors: File not
found: /usr/sbin/wlan_radio_averatec_5110hx" and sure enough, 'make install'
also seems to be completely missing this file.

[root at localhost ndiswrapper-0.10]# whereis loadndisdriver ndiswrapper
wlan_radio_averatec_5110hx
loadndisdriver: /sbin/loadndisdriver
ndiswrapper: /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper /usr/share/man/man8/ndiswrapper.8
wlan_radio_averatec_5110hx:

Questions: what the heck is wlan_radio_averatec_5110hx, why would I need it
(my laptop is compaq, not averatec, and these instructions look to be
generic, not brand specific), should it have been present in the ndis file,
in my FC2 distro or what, and how can I find it?

sigh.

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com