configure fonts for terminal

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Tue Sep 14 19:01:42 UTC 2004

On Tuesday September 14, 2004 at 11:39 a.m. "zelcor" <zelcor at free.fr> wrote:
> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
>>Am Di, den 14.09.2004 schrieb Christian Heinze um 15:57:
>>

>>>I'd like to configure another font for the non-X terminal, one that is
>>>smaller and not that space-consuming. What configuration file (or gui)
>>>is to be used for that?
>>>

>>>* Christian Heinze
>>>

>>Change in /etc/sysconfig/i18n the SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16" line.
>>Fonts available are in /lib/kbd/consolefonts/.
>>Maybe make use of the framebuffer to have a higher "resolution" on
>>console than the default.
>>

> How do you "make use of the framebuffer to have a higher resolution" ?

Zacharie

1. Append 'vga=795' to the 'kernel ...' line(s) in /etc/grub.conf to set a
1280x1024x24 framebuffer text mode. This will only be visible when X is
not running, like when in single user mode, runlevel 3, or in a virtual
console ([ctrl][alt]-1..6).

2. Change the SYSFONT entry in /etc/sysconfig/i18n to read "cp850-8x8" (or
whatever code page font file in /lib/kbd/consolefonts meets your needs.
Take care not to choose a font that does not correctly render the border
characters when you run "setup" from a command line prompt. This 8x8 font
will make maximum use of a text screen -- something like 160x64 instead of
80x25.

Hope this helps...

--Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2199.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov