Linux text editors

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Sep 14 20:43:43 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-09-14 09:54, Neil Cherry whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

> Andrea Giuliano wrote:
>
> First let me say that I've been using emacs since 1978 so I'm use to
> using it (I don't need to think about the key bindings I just type the
> keys).
>
> <humor>
>
>> * emacs has an ugly key-binding scheme, but tons of documentation,
>> tons of "plugins" for almost every programming language you may think
>> of, and is reasonably fast;
>

> Ugly key bindings? What's wrong with <Ctrl><x><Ctrl><c> ? It much easier
> than typing <Esc><x>save-buffers-kill-emacs<CR> . :-)
>
>>                   ; as vi, you definitely must use it everyday if you
>> want to use it at all: if you stop for a couple of months, you will
>> never remember even which keys must be pressed to open a file...
>

> In emacs it's <Ctrl><x><Ctrl><f>. In vi it's :e whatever_the_filename_is
>

>> emacs can be installed to work in a text console, so it is available
>> even i single user mode;
>

> Vi is good to know when memory is limited or over a bad dial up line.
>
> </humor>
>
> Some other editors are, gedit (requires X), joe, and elvis. The are
> a lot more but I don't know them all. I just stick to vi and emacs.
> I can use either one to offend the others users. :-)

One of the nice things about Nice Editor (ne) is that at about 320 KB it
can easily fit on a floppy, so even if you have to boot in rescue mode,
you can have an alternative to vi.  vim is over 2000 KB and won't fit on
a floppy.  Of course, I like emacs myself, but at a sveldt 65 MB it's
more than 5 times bigger than my first (5 MB) hard drive!

--
Fritz Whittington
It is the duty of every citizen according to his best capacities to give validity to his convictions in political affairs. (Albert Einstein, 'Treasury for the Free World,' 1946)