FC2 - nvidia installation problems

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Sep 14 23:13:26 UTC 2004

James A. Giseburt wrote:
> Good Day!
>
> I've been trying to install the nforce drivers from www.nvidia.com and
> keep having a problem.  I am attempting this on a Toshiba Satellite Pro
> 4600.
>
> Following is the log from the install:

[Log file snipped]

Jim, it looks like you are trying to install NFORCE-Linux-x86-1.0-0283.

I'm not sure if this contains the latest drivers for FC2 or not.

> Any assistance would be appreciated.  I have no sound (KDE or GNOME) and have
> been trying everything that anybody has suggested to others regarding sound
> with no success.

I have an ABIT NF7 (nForce-2 chipset) and a GeForce MX400 video card
(AGP).  My ethernet & sound drivers are supported by FC2 drivers:

	forcedeth (ethernet) & snd-intel8x0 (sound for the AC97)

I beleive that the configuration info was covered here a while back
(search the archives), but I can send my configuration if necessary.
I spent much time fixing my sound after I upgraded from RH9, the list of
commands in /etc/modprobe.conf is not intuitive, and you have to ensure
that the ALSA drivers can restore a sane backup of the mixer settings.
The ethernet driver basically plugged and played (though I ended up
having to rename eth0, eth1, & eth2 on my machine for whatever reason....)

[Note, I had been using the nVidia ethernet and sound drivers under RH9,
but not anymore!]

The video driver I'm using comes from:

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1

(6106 is much greater than 0283, leading me to beleive that you're
trying to install an older version of the driver.  Have you tried to
update using the nvidia installer?:  nvidia-installer --update

This version of the video driver works well for me (the previous few
versions had problems with 4K statcks and some 3D hangs).
I'm not sure if nVidia has since put out an even more updated version....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net