Fedora 2, Spam & Mail Transport

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Sep 14 23:49:29 UTC 2004

On September 14, 2004 4:21 pm, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> Can kmail use both bogofilter and spamassassin, like it can use f-prot and
> clamav [both antivirus programs] ?

I don't run spamassassin (I'm a single user laptop) but my web/mail hosting
company does. Spamassassin marks everything up and sends it to me, then
bogofilter judges everything (including the stuff that spamassassin misses)
and marks it spam or not according to its statistical analysis. So yes, you
can run the two together.

I believe there are utilities to "remove" the markup/formatting the
spamassassin does before bogofilter tackles things because I think there may
be some statistical benefit to doing that, but I don't bother. I have never
had a false positive with bogofilter (a good message marked as spam). It is
not super agressive though (although it can be set to be so) so I have the
occasional spams that get through. But note that they (and many more) also
got by spamassassin on my hoster's servers.

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com