[fedora] Groups

Andrea Giuliano a.giuliano at iccu.sbn.it
Wed Sep 15 15:25:21 UTC 2004

 From the red hat menu, launch "System Setting/Users and Groups". A
window titled "User manager" should pop up.

You will most likely be prompted for the root password.

You can add "john" to "users" in two ways: from the "Users" tab double
click on "john", open the tab "Groups" in the window that pops up, and
check "users". If you instead start from the "Groups" tab of the main
window, choose "users" and than, from the tab "Users", check "john".

If you don't want to use a graphica tool, try this:

# usermod -G users john

This should put "john" into group "users". Beware: if "john" is in other
groups, this command removes him from them!

Best regards.

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico