FC2 + newest openoffice = slower

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Wed Sep 15 16:03:36 UTC 2004

I muddled through for about half a year with FC1 on a PIII 500 with 386meg of
ram and an old slow hard drive. Open Office worked but it was slooooooow to
open and even the odd save of a file was slow.

I bought a new laptop (AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ at 2.133GHz) with 512meg that has
a newer, presumably faster hard drive. When I installed FC1, open office
suddenly worked WONDERFULLY. It was fast enough that I didn't even care about
startup time. Not as fast as MS Office on WinXP, of course, but fast enough
to be called "fast".

Then I upgraded to FC2 and the newer open office that is included with that
distribution. Suddenly open office was sloooooow to start up again. :-( I
have updated open office and everything else a few times since then but
nothing changes.

FC2 + the newest open office seems to be observably slower than FC1 + (some
older version of) open office.

start up time now (with newest configuration and versions):

20 seconds (to load the spreadsheet main window) + 4 seconds (to load the
actual very plain vanilla spreadsheet I use to keep track of my budget).

This is the kind of slowness I used to see with my PIII 500! Anyone have any
ideas why this is so slow, when FC1+older Open office was faster? Is it an OO
issue or an FC issue? Or a kernel issue (using kernel-2.6.8-1.521)?

Trevor Smith // trevor at haligonian.com