Motherboard for Fedora server

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Sep 15 23:15:58 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 15.09.2004 schrieb Timme Tvede um 10:46:

> I'm planning on upgrading my internet server that runs under Red Hat 9.0
> to Red Hat Fedora Core 2. I have bought the Intel S875WP1-E but
> unfornunately there is no raid driver available for Fedora and it will
> not be available before February-marts 2005. I therefore will buy a new
> motherboard.

Can I suspect that it is this kind of "fake RAID"? Manufacturers call it
RAID but it is no real hardware RAID but BIOS supported software RAID.
(This was discussed here on the list already several times.)

> Can anyone recommend a good, stable and fast motherboard with onboard
> graphic, ethernet and raidcontroller for running Red Hat Linux Fedore
> Core.

If you are speaking about an "internet server" you mean a reliable
webserver. Then either pay for a real hardware RAID controller - PATA /
SATA by 3ware or SCSI by ICP Vortex (supported by Linux) - or rely on
Linux software RAID. Those onboard RAID controller functions are
marketing gags and technically not worth the trouble.

I think you then can keep your Intel board you have now.

> Best regards - Tim

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 01:10:18 up 16 days, 22:27, load average: 0.91, 1.17, 1.17