Spamc is slowwww

joe joe at archaven.com
Thu Sep 16 05:08:27 UTC 2004

All:

I have a FC2 box running the lastest updates.

I'm checking out spamc and I go to test it like so:
-------------------------------------
[root at luke spamassassin]# time spamc -c < /usr/share/doc/spamassassin-2.63/sample-nonspam.txt
0.1/5.0

real    0m40.267s
user    0m0.001s
sys     0m0.005s
[root at luke spamassassin]# time spamc -c < /usr/share/doc/spamassassin-2.63/sample-spam.txt
1001.4/5.0

real    0m20.127s
user    0m0.002s
sys     0m0.004s
[root at luke spamassassin]# ps -fade | grep spam
root      2136     1  0 Sep08 ?        00:00:00 /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -a -m5 -H

Notice that the wall clock time is 40 and 20 seconds respectively for spam and non-spam.

Don't these seem like long times?
Is this how long each e-mail is going to take to be scanned by spamassassin?

Thanks,

Joe

PS: How is the -H option in the spamd meant to be used? Its for specifying a different home directory, but there is no path listed.