corrupted partition table

François Patte Francois.Patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Thu Sep 16 06:45:43 UTC 2004

Bonjour,

I have FC1 installed on a drive together with win 2000. The partition table was:

/dev/sda1 primary ntfs
/dev/sda2 primary ntfs

/dev/sda3 linux extended
  /dev/sda5 logical linux ext3 /
  /dev/sda6 logical linux /boot
  ..... other linux partition (swap, /tmp,.... /home)

Someone has done something (I don't know what yet) under win that has corrupted
the partition table: using linux rescue and fdisk, I can see now:

/dev/sda1 ntfs (curiously beginning at cyl 2)
/dev/sda2 ntfs

/dev/sda3 linux extended
  /dev/sda5 : this partition is supposed to begin also on cyl 2, seems to have
the same size as sda1 and is reported to be win 95 ext'ed....

Cannot see sda6.....

Is there a way to recover the correct partition table?

I know that I do not give much information, but is anyone gives me some tests to
operate in order to get more informations and a way to restore the correct
partition table?

Thank you.

--
François Patte

Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient - Pune - Inde
Université René Descartes - Paris 5
UFR de mathématiques et informatique