Motherboard for Fedora server

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Sep 16 16:43:55 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>>Can anyone recommend a good, stable and fast motherboard with onboard
>>graphic, ethernet and raidcontroller for running Red Hat Linux Fedore
>>Core.
>

> If you are speaking about an "internet server" you mean a reliable
> webserver. Then either pay for a real hardware RAID controller - PATA /
> SATA by 3ware or SCSI by ICP Vortex (supported by Linux) - or rely on
> Linux software RAID. Those onboard RAID controller functions are
> marketing gags and technically not worth the trouble.
>
> I think you then can keep your Intel board you have now.
>

>>Best regards - Tim
>

> Alexander

I have an ASUS board with RAID (supported and recognized by FC1) but I
found that md was better.  I will echo Alexander here and state that
if you want a "real" raid system then purchase a 3Ware card or get a
SCSI card.  The extra cost will be well worth it.  Note that SCSI is
much more expensive but more reliable.  I am planning on building a
RAID multimedia server using SATA and a 3Ware card.

--
Robin Laing