Installation Issue

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Sep 16 20:08:31 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-09-15 17:52, James Wilkinson whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>I recommended, for a 20 GB nominal drive:
>

>>I'd consider 12 GB for /home, and the rest for swap, /boot, and /.
>>

>Fritz Whittington wrote:
>

>>1. It's hard for me to understand 12 GB for /home -- this sounds like a
>>personal-use machine.
>>2. On my FC2, /usr/share is about 3 GB.  All the rest of /usr is about 3
>>GB.
>>

>Do you think 12 GB is too much or too little? I agree with the likely
>usage, and your figures for /usr sound about right. Allow 1 GB for the
>rest of the system, and 1 GB for such things as /boot, swap, and various
>formatting overheads, and you're left with 12 GB.
>
>The original poster will probably want that for user data: it should
>therefore be /home.
>
>James.

I see we have different outlooks :-)  To me, in a "personal" computer
like this, /home/fritz mostly has .bashrc, .mozilla, etc. and maybe a
few other files like letters, notes.  But in total pretty small.  If I
want to load up a 100 MB database of whatsis, then I tend to put it in
/var/whatsis, or maybe /var/personal or /var/business, or something like
that.  Also, a lot of things you might want to install might insist on
going into /usr/share/yaddayadda, but almost never into ~.

Partly this is for ease of backup.  I want to keep ~ small enough to
backup often.  That 100 MB reference database can probably be
re-downloaded.

Now, regardless of all the above, I just think unless you are setting up
a big multi-user or server with tons of disk space to burn, and want to
distribute certain filesystems over certain drives/partitions to speed
up inode operations under heavy loads, etc.  then you should keep all of
/ in one big pot (again, excepting /boot and swap), because you never
really know in advance which of /usr, /usr/share, /var, /tmp or whatever
is going to need more space as you use the system over time.

--
Fritz Whittington
Dependence on computers is apparently making a significant fraction of the population incurably stupid.  (Fritz Whittington, Risks Digest 22.61)