obsolete OSS interface messages

Matt Morgan matt.morgan-fedora-list at brooklynmuseum.org
Thu Sep 16 20:24:35 UTC 2004

On 09/16/2004 08:42 AM, Ben Vitale wrote:

> 9 Time(s): application mozilla-bin uses obsolete OSS audio interface
> 2 Time(s): application realplay.bin uses obsolete OSS audio interface
>
> I have a feeling these errors are why I cannot hear audio in
> RealPlayer often times. How can I get rid of this problem?
>
> I'm running FC2, kernel 2.6.7-1.494.2.2.
>
> TIA,
> Ben

This is sort of a guess: FC2 uses ALSA sound, rather than OSS. Unless
you intentionally installed OSS, you probably need to tell RealPlayer to
use ALSA, instead of OSS. I don't have RealPlayer, but if you can find
an option for that (I've seen similar things in XMMS, for example), that
may help.

--Matt