network adapter detection problem

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Sep 17 08:28:24 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 17.09.2004 schrieb Eric Cartman um 10:18:

> Hi,  Earlier i had problem with installing FC2.  Finally, I got burned disks of redhat 9 from a friend.  Luckily, I went pass installation.

So you have Redhat Linux 9 running now? Then this is the wrong list.
This one is for Fedora users.

>  Now I have got some serious problems.  I m using Linksys PCI fast ethernet card, but redhad is not detecting it.  Since I m new to linux,
> I don't know what to do about it.  The floppy drive I got with the NIC includes driver for linux. But I don't know what to do with it.

Specific NIC model information is required. What does "/sbin/lspci"
print out for the card?

> Another problem is when i access the floppy drive, it gives me following error:
> Nautilus was unable to mount floppy drive.  There is probably no floppy in the drive.

Does the floppy drive function properly from Windows[tm]?

> Does the formatting matter.  I believe floppy drive has FAT system which should be ok with redhat, right???

Did you mount the floppy?

> Ans the last question.  I have windows xp on the same PC.  Following the direction of redhat site, to access data of windows from linux, i
> created the partion of FAT32 in xp.  I don't know how to access that partion from liinux now.

You need to mount it; see man mount. For instance: mount -t vfat
/dev/hda2 /mnt/whatever

> I tried cd /dev/hda2 (that is the partition of FAT32) but it says it is not a directory.

No, you can't access partitions directly this way. See man mount.

Please use the usual suspects of information resources. Some parts of
your posting are more than once answered here on the list for example.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 10:23:00 up 18 days, 7:39, load average: 1.71, 0.86, 0.54