NVIDIA 6111 driver and console mode

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Sep 17 09:15:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 10:32, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 17.09.2004 schrieb Ralf Corsepius um 9:18:
>
> > > I was refering to the Console Framebuffer. Which is normally used when you
> > > boot into init 3. It's a kernel commandline setting.
>
> > I don't have any fb-kernel-parameter set and am booting into
> > "init level 3". No problems at all.
>
> But then you do not need a console framebuffer.
Very likely.

> > Is it an issue with "rhgb"? I am not using it.
>
> What issue? What are you speaking about?
Symptom: Distorted, completely unreadable graphics trash if rhgb is
enabled on a machine with Nvidia graphics card.

>  Yes, RHGB does use framebuffer mode.
I know ... together with Wolfgang's remark this gives a nice picture.

I don't seem to need frame buffered consoles, nor do I need eye-candy as
rhgb, so I am probably getting away without kernel parameters (Makes me
wonder why, besides rhgb, I would want frame-buffered consoles)

Ralf